[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 heresy: what about "selling" pro extensions?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 26 09:36:30 CEST 2010

Sebastian Gebhard wrote:
> Am 25.04.10 07:01, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
>> Let me rephrase that: for a small project which had to built quickly and
>> for a small budget lack of documentation might be an excuse, but we're
>> talking here about a framework -- a foundation for further development
>> -- which is being developed for 3-4 years now.
>
> I guess it's not about the framework itself (I hope it will get well
> documented)

I was talking about the framework itself...

If community support (read: the community agrees that this is the way to
go) for the framework is desired (I presume that is the case) a simple
"this is the new, shiny framework and it is super-cool, because it's all
about DDD, dependency injection, a new programming paradigm, (...)"
isn't enough.
The documentation should not only state all the functionality of the
APIs and the specifications of all parameters, for such a new beast it
is necessary that there is an explanation of what developers can gain by
using it and why they should invest time to get to know the framework.

All we have now is presentations with endless coolness and speed-tests
which show that FLOW3 is by far the slowest framework available.

The situation is very simple: "we" want clients to use version 5 in the
(far?) future, agencies have to sell it to the clients, the developers
at the agencies have to advice the sales people to sell it to the
clients, so "we" need community support for that version 5 and its
framework.

And "hope" for documentation? ...

> but about the applications built on top of it, which will be
> developed with DDD. For them I'd say "code is my documentation" would be
> far better than no documentation.

If there is code you can say "my code is my documentation"; no
documentation at all == no code at all? ;-)

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert
msn: jigal at xs4all.nl