[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 heresy: what about "selling" pro extensions?

Jochen Rau jochen.rau at typoplanet.de
Sun Apr 25 22:14:38 CEST 2010

Hi Jigal.

On 25.04.10 16:55, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> Jochen Rau wrote:
> TYPO3 probably wants to be reliable, stable, feature rich (buzzword?),
> etc., but certainly not hip or fashionable.

My point is, TYPO3 should be reliable, stable, feature rich as this
enables people to communicate. *And* it should be hip and fashionable to
inspire (more) people to share.

>> I meant it the other way around: If a new paradigm (ouch, he said this
>> buzz word "new paradigm" again ;-) ) is attributed to be "cool" it
>> does not necessarily have to be "bad/unusable/form outer space". So,
>> it was just a handy hint for a (virtual) newcomer.
>
> Maybe it's better to use words that many people understand. Paradigm,
> you mean pattern? Or a theoretical framework?

The word "paradigm" is common ground in context of software development
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_programming_paradigms). I am
pretty sure that many people in this context understand the term
"programming paradigm". It isn't a buzzword.

But let take the chance to explain what my understanding of "paradigm
shift" in context of TYPO3 is. The "way" through the TYPO3 v4 core php
scripts is determined by the order of the statements and functions
calling other functions (see index.php, index_ts.php). The state of the
script (esp. the global variables) can be changed at any point of the
script. There are classes and objects, but they are used mainly as
"container" of thematically grouped functions. In short: it is mixture
of Imparative and Procedural Programming Paradigm [1]. As the core code
basis of TYPO3 grew bigger and bigger it turned out that these paradigms
lead us to a situation where it is very hard to maintain this code
basis. And it is very hard to add new features (just try to refactor
tcemain or try to implement new features to tceforms_inline).

Now, TYPO3 (and I mean the community including you here) is facing a
"paradigm shift". The "new" TYPO3 will be based on the Object Oriented
Paradigm (OOP) [2] (It makes no difference here if you use FLOW3 or the
Zend/Symfony/... as Dmitry suggested). It uses software objects to group
data and functionality together in a very meaningful way. This will lead
us to even more techniques like Domain-Driven Design, Dependency
Injection and others to make the most out of this (not so new) paradigm.
But all these new concepts are no buzz words (at least for those who
already cleared the hurdle).

> The problem with buzzwords is that the words are being used in
> situations where they are not appropriate and after some time they lost
> their meaning.

Again: "programming paradigm" is no buzz word. I used irony here not to
loose humor and marked it with the appropriate smiley.

Regards
Jochen

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperative_programming
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming