[TYPO3-dev] Caring for t3lib_utility_Client

Philipp Gampe phil at philippgampe.info
Fri Apr 23 23:11:45 CEST 2010

Am 23.04.2010, 15:52 Uhr, schrieb Francois Suter <fsu-lists at cobweb.ch>:

> This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Sure all these browsers send
> back "Mozilla/5.0" in their user agent string, but I would expect a
> finer difference in the result. Shouldn't it really return the browser's
> type (i.e. "firefox", "safari" and "chrome")?

Yes, it would be good to have it even finer grained ... e.g firefox2
firefox3 firefox3.5 firefox3.6
All major versions are somewhat different, so it would be useful to be
able to have a condition for "just" firefox and one for the specific
versions.

> And further down there's getDeviceType(), which looks just as outdated,
> to a point where one wonders whether it really still is useful or not.
Having a condition for mobiles would be nice, but I can't see a reason for
filtering for other devices - maybe for braille and alike. But I guess
this is rarely need an could be added by an extension easily.

> What should we do with this?
I guess this should be reword for 4.5 (completely rewritten).

Best regards
--
Philipp Gampe