[TYPO3-dev] blog_example gives error "A cache with identifier "cache_extbase_reflection" does not exist"

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 15:27:46 CEST 2010

Hi!

Christopher Schnell wrote:
> I am not one of those mighty core developers, not even a "Full Time TYPO3
> User". I use it as a tool, when I need it (which is about 30% of the work, I
> do as employee).
>
> Having said that, I don't know if anyone cares about my opinion, but I
> approve to 100% to what Dimitry said here. 100% and not one per mill less.

I'd say we should listen more to users of TYPO3 even if they are not full
time users. Often they are more fresh than full time users and developers.

> I said, I only work about 30% of my time with TYPO3. The other 70% are
> working with symfony framework. (it is written with f, not ph. Outlook likes
> to change it.  :-) ). I will not rant about what is superior in this
> framework, but I want to show you a case to see, how other developers work
> with other tools.
>
> The developers of symfony developed their own unit-testing framework, called
> "lime". At first it was a by-product and thus very easy to use. But it
> matured and was huge work to make it a good testing framework. Know what?
> They dumped it a few weeks ago and integrated PHPUnit into symfony. If you
> want to know why:
>
> Short answer from Paul Lomax: "Use what's out there; realise it sucks; write
> your own; wait until others suck less; dump your own; use other."

Yes, this is what I fully agree and advocate.

I must admit that some time ago I was stupid. I made my own framework for a
certain portion of my large project. Now I realize that I should have used
Zend Framework. I would have far more time to focus on my own functionality
and could have developed it 3 times faster. I could delegate framework bug
fixes to Zend and do bug fixes in my own code. Currently I seriously
consider to rewrite my application (but if I do I will use Django).

I learned the lesson: do not invent a component if you can get it from
somebody else. Examples? Google did not make Nexus One, it asked HTC. Apple
did not invent A4 processor in iPad, it used PASemi work. Car makers and TV
manufactures use components from each other. Everybody reuses stuff. This
is good because it allows to focus on really essential parts of one's work.
No need to spend time on supporting stuff, focus on main ideas! Get real!

Our world speeds up all the time. It was possible for Microsoft to use
years to release Windows 98 after Windows 95. But now nobody can spend
years. Everything happens in months now. There reusing stuff helps. If we
always do everything ourselves, we will always be late. We must use
construction blocks provided by others to build excellent stuff upon them.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 security team member