[TYPO3-dev] blog_example gives error "A cache with identifier "cache_extbase_reflection" does not exist"

Chris Zepernick {SwiftLizard} chris at swift-lizard.com
Thu Apr 22 21:52:25 CEST 2010

Hi Jochen,

> You are right, Chris. But Steffens reply was neither wrong nor unfriendly.

Sure, but neither was it helpful, and I recognized a lot of reactions
like that lately across several of our lists (not from Steffen), so I
just wanted to point out a better way to reply.

> Bert was asking for a solution for his problem with Extbase/the
> BlogExample. We will try to help him on the already ongoing thread om
> the Extbase mailing list.

All one can ask for. And I expected from you, though I know you are a
very friendly guy how almost allways likes to help if one asks polite ;-).

>> It is still alpha, and from my point current of view (please proof me
>> wrong) it will not be a competitor for the other frameworks out there
>> for at least two years, perhaps longer. Lately I saw performance tests
>> where it was over 60 times slower then Zend or Symfony. And no hardware
>> is not the answer to that problem.
>
> Did you give the latest alpha of FLOW3 a try?

Nope not during the last month, but I think there was no update since
then. Please guys dont get me wrong, Flows architecture is great, but
the test my customers and my self had been running, at the moment, it is
far too slow from the perfomance point of view. But that is ok, though
it is a alpha. Also for about 80% of all Typo3 jobs out there
performance will not be that big of an issue, because the sites will not
have that much traffic.

My problem is that normaly my customers are the other 20% with more then
20.000 Users per day, and some million page views. You will agree in
those environment performance is a big issue.

> Every software is "under development". A software that isn't constantly
> refactored, improved and fixed is dead in a couple of months (apart from
> the Voyager controller software, I think).

You know I did not mean it that way, my point was that some core parts
might be changed, although this might be the point where I am wrong. But
if I am right, development with extbase & fluid is, at the moment, not
reliable. If we are only talking about one Ext this will be not that big
of a problem, the moment we talk about software solutions for big
companys and core parts of those software solutions depending on extbase
& fluid it is a completly different game because it might create a big
overhead for maintenance.

> Did you follow the development of Extbase? Surely, some things have
> changed but the API is stable since Extbase 1.0.0. Extbase 1.2.0 will
> run under 4.3.x as well. Those parts of FLOW3 which have been backported
> to Extbase are stable. And there is a good communication between the
> both teams. So, what exactly are you afraid of?

That Core logic of Extbase might still change although it is stable, and
this will force one to put alot more time into maintenance.

> Nobody, at least me, claimed Extbase to be perfect from the beginning. I
> allways pointed out that Extbase is not meant to be a successor of
> pi_base. You have freedom of choice here.

That was not my point. My point was the communication towards the
community witch suggested "this is the way, better change sooner than
later". I know you are a professional and resonable Developer, and I
know that you never communicated that way.

But many others did.

I just suggested that we start to communicate a little more carefully
towards the community and the deciders at our users (companys and big
agencys), because we did the same faults several times by now, and each
time this fired up discussions about Typo3 and if it fits the needs in
the future of those companies.

If we have cool new features developed no one should hide them, but
please stop communicating those features like "the way" as long as they
are not stable and bullet proof, as well as 99% reliable. Thats all I am
asking for. It is just the wording that might make life a little easier
for all of us.

I know most of you guys personally, and I know how certain sentences are
meant. I know that sentences like "the cool new way" are more the result
of euphoria about a cool idea and part of software in developement, then
a real business statement.

Problem is most of the guys and girls out there deciding about whether
to go for Typo3 or not don´t. Those people take these statements as
serious business advises, and will take them into credit for their
decisions.

> BTW There are several Projects based on Extbase and Fluid out in the
> wild now. Maybe you cant see any difference in the Frontend ;-)

I know there are, and they are way better coded then the most of the
rest in the TER. Thanks to you and Sebastian, but as of my knowledge of
today I wouldn´t use any of them in a critical production environtment,
but not for code quality reasons but for the maintenance risks mentioned
above.

I honestly thank you for this guys, for the great work with ExtBase &
Fluid, both cool software, and the moment they are reliable in the
environment I work with I will be the last not to use them (I really do
love them for the BE - mod development).

And yes I have an permanent eye on the development.

Cheers

chris