[TYPO3-dev] Translation, L10N and LLXML

Lars Houmark lars at houmark.com
Mon Apr 19 03:57:41 CEST 2010

Hi Patrick,

> Can't complain if it makes TYPO3 better... So here's a warm thank you
> for RFC 3977 revision.

No problem, but it needs a couple of votes before it will make TYPO3
better ;) *hint*

> It means that if you used LLXML to translate 2 or 3 missing labels,
> you've lost them.

I never translate labels locally. If the extension is missing labels, I
do it on the translation server and wait for them to come down that way.
If its my own extension, it's done inside the extension locallang.xml files.

This might indeed be your problem without understanding the entire thing
completely, so excuse me if not.

The comparison methods used is quite complicated and looking into the
code, it is not very documented inline, so unless another document on
these things exist, I guess we need Karsten Dambekalns in to look into
this one.

I spent a bit of time right now, but without knowing exactly what not
happens correctly, ie. understanding precisely your problem, I cannot
reproduce and debug. Also debugging is a multi day project, because we
need to wait for new labels to be translated before we can see if they
were updated. And for me to even do that test, I need #3977 to go
through first and have the file-rights fixed :)

> The basis of my original question was because I'm on a project where we
> re-translate part of Core and 30 popular extensions... So removing
> typo3conf/l10n/fr/ isn't an option for us...

My believe is that re-translating, meaning changing some labels, should
be done in TS in order to not conflict with the original files.

Is that not an option? You could keep a SysFolder with a TS file for
each extension / core part.

In your example, did you touch any of the other 75 translations and by
that modified one or more files locally?

In general the EM and translations is a bit of a hurt bag imho. There
seems to have been done little followup on the original code and there
is some different problems here and there, also on the translation
server part. I read some time ago, that there was a patch with a lot of
improvements to the translation server, but I don't know where it's
hanging atm.

--
Lars Houmark