[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 heresy: what about "selling" pro extensions?

Stig Nørgaard Færch snf at dkm.dk
Wed Apr 14 08:40:39 CEST 2010

Den 13-04-2010 11:21, Francois Suter skrev:
> Hi,
>
>>> One company will probably not effort to pay you for this and the
>>> Association seems also not to be able to do this.
>>> But we could apply the concept of sponsored projects to Class A
>>> Extensions like realurl.
>>
>> AFAIK sponsoring idea did not go well. May be Francois can tell more.
>
> Indeed it didn't go well. I'm not really sure why it went so. At least
> part of the reason is that it requires marketing to get sponsorships,
> which was clearly not my profile. That's why the Association is trying
> to hire a professional fundraiser now.

I think there are at least two important criteria for sponsoring being
successful that hasn't been met.

First)
The people / companies who would be willing to pay any amount of
donation needs to know about which projects needs funding.
In my opinion it is not enough just to list the projects on a page on
typo3.org, and hope that donations will tick in.
I guess one of the answers is the long awaited newsletter.

Second)
Good payment options. Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently most
project which have been sponsored, have been sponsored by larger amounts
mostly by companies (my guess).
One suggestion could be something like http://www.fundable.com, where:
1) people pledges any amount("standby payment") to a project
2) when total pledges meets the goal amount they are converted to real
payments.
I think this could boost donations significantly.

/Stig