[TYPO3-dev] How to finance an extension

bernd wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Tue Apr 13 12:39:08 CEST 2010

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:21:32 +0300 Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Andreas Otto wrote:
>> I personally think this is the wrong approach and would not help TYPO3
>> to spread.
>
> Good functionality through extensions will allow TYPO3 to spread. But
> what would motivate developers to create really good extensions?
>
> For example, I am not motivated to create RealURL v2, which is faster,
> cleaner, less buggy, comes with a good GUI, etc. It will take tons of
> time but give me nothing in return. So I am not making it. I am not
> naive anymore. Good work requires a good payment. That's the most
> motivating factor in my opinion.

I think this points to the weak point:
developing a great extension will consume a lot of time.
The programmer(s) who do it will need some money to live from while doing
this developement.
If one company (seldom: one man) is willing to pay for the full
developmenttime a great extension can be born. developing an extension in
spare-time will take a lot of enthusiasm and time. and much more if the
extension should be a great one.
therefore it would bring more (good) extensions if we find a model to
share the costs of extensiondeveloping to all the end-users.

As everyone just wants extensions (and support) for free there is not
much stimulation for developers, at least for the experienced ones, which
need to be paid for their time to make a living (for them and their
family).

I think it would be easier if there will be
* a very popular micropayment (without so much administration fee) and
* on every download a (micopayment-)button will be shown to send the
developer a small amount of money.
maybe it would reduce administaration fees if the donations go to the
association, which will send the registered developer his amount if it
exceeds a given value e.g. 25€ like it is done by others (e.g. amazon)

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html