[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 heresy: what about "selling" pro extensions?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 09:51:03 CEST 2010

Hi!

Stefano Cecere wrote:
> synthesis: is it possibile to sell TYPO3 extensions to public?
>
> detailed: to help spread TYPO3 and to have cutting edge pro extensions,
> could it possibile to deliver a "base" extension free, as normal TYPO3
> ext, and sell the pro/advanced/ad free version?
> my concerns are  GPL/TYPO3 licenses and TYPO3 philosophy...

In my opinion using GPL was a bad idea. There should have been a custom license that keeps the base system strictly open source and allows closed source extensions. This is similar to what Magento does. Magento developers can earn money with paid extensions and keep light versions of extensions free for everybody. Same for Apple iPhone develoers: free light apps + paid full versions.

I afraid commercial extensions model is going to fail with TYPO3 because TYPO3 community expects everything for free.

I often get mails with questions about my extensions. I reply that consultation would cost money and in 1% of cases I am paid. In 49.5% the other side just stops communication, in other 49.5% cases they *demand* a free answer because TYPO3 is free. It is a common belief that a free GPLed systems comes with a free immediate help 24h/day. How can paid extension be introduced into such world?

Am I too pessimistic? :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 security team member