[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 heresy: what about "selling" pro extensions?

Stefano Cecere scecere at krur.com
Mon Apr 12 00:51:37 CEST 2010

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:27:22 +0200, Martin Kutschker
<masi-no at spam-typo3.org> wrote:

> What I don't understand is why this should spread TYPO3? Actually I find
> this a rather annoying
> aspect of other open source systems that I have to pay for even the
> dullest plugin/extension.

actually i wasn't thinking about selling some advanced extension (i'm not
so "pro"), but that i would pay for some new one!
as you noted, TER is full of semi-finished/semi-abandoned/semi-documented
nice extensions.
videos are full of nice "want to do perfect projects"..

but we know that .. how much? 50%? of these idea aren't finished..
sometimes neither started

i saw recently the speech that the Drupal guy hold at last TDD, and i am
studying the App store that Apple created..
the success of the iPhone is not the machine itself or the nice design..
but the amazing ecosystem they launched: thousands of small companies are
making their salary developing always better small extensions sold for few
$.

i know that the pure free everything philosophy is huge +1 for TYPO3..
but tell me: what if tomorrow a nice and friendly company starts selling
for 10$/year a wonderful full taxonomy extension, promising to keep it
updated with latest technology?
i would give them 20$! and stop losing hours trying latest Drupal builds
to see if it is really worth for my next project

last: i am TYPO3 ass memebr since the beginning. i converted dozen of
people and company to TYPO3, i submitted several bugs and patches and
suggestions, i am responsible for italian core translation.. so i don't
think to be really doing nothing for TYPO3!

anyway, now that TYPO3 has a project manager and the Association is
starting to move smarter, maybe things will change soon!

ciao and thanks for discussion
stefano