[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 heresy: what about "selling" pro extensions?

Olivier Dobberkau olivier.dobberkau at dkd.de
Sun Apr 11 12:56:16 CEST 2010

Am 11.04.10 12:42, schrieb Stefano Cecere:

> synthesis: is it possibile to sell TYPO3 extensions to public?
>
> detailed: to help spread TYPO3 and to have cutting edge pro extensions,
> could it possibile to deliver a "base" extension free, as normal TYPO3
> ext, and sell the pro/advanced/ad free version?
> my concerns are  GPL/TYPO3 licenses and TYPO3 philosophy...
>
> we know several OopeSource CMS are really wide spread because of really
> well designed & developed extensions, done by small companies that can
> live selling the pro version ( just one example
> http://wpplugins.com/plugins/ )
>
> what do you think?

hi stefano,

that is what we are doing currently with apache solr for typo3.

the extension exists in a community version and in a development version
that you can access if you pay a contribution. at the end of the
development stands the release of a gpl version.

i believe that this only works if your extension brings additional value.

i do not know if you can compare the wordpress universe with TYPO3. The
pro plugins are centainly not in a pricerange that can be compared with
the price of an average professional TYPO3 project.

on the other hand we have a lot of:

- non released extensions
- released, but not maintained extensions
- some star extensions (tt_news, realurl ...)

what i would suggest is a plugin universe like the guys a drupal do.
this would a good possibility to judge an extension. then a pro variant
would make sense.

and lastly i do not believe that gpl would be offended by this.

greetings,

olivier