[TYPO3-dev] FE plugin development - using sysfolders

Boros Attila attila at thebat.net
Sat Apr 10 20:24:03 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm developing a frontend plugin which stores information about
hotels. My client requires to place each hotel on it's own page in the
TYPO3 page tree. Basic info stored: Country / Region / City, Hotel
name, the rest is irrelevant for this discussion:)

At first I was thinking to make 3 SQL tables: countries, regions, cities
to store the Country / Region / City hierarchy and use id_city in each
instance of the plugin. But since every hotel will have it's own page,
could I reuse the page tree structure somehow? Like this:

+Italy           <- SysFolder
 +Tuscany        <- SysFolder (a subfolder of Italy)
  +Toscana       <- SysFolder (a subfolder of Tuscany)
   -Hotel A      <- Normal page inside the Toscana SysFolder

Is it possible to read the tree structure from a plugin? How? Would
this be a good design or an abuse of SysFolders?

Best regards,
Attila