[TYPO3-dev] Symmetric encryption library for t3lib

Marcus Krause marcus at t3sec.info
Fri Oct 30 11:23:15 CET 2009

Martin Kutschker schrieb am 10/30/2009 11:12 AM Uhr:
> Marcus Krause schrieb:
>> I'd like to hear any comments and suggestions. Do you consider such
>>  library an effort worth to be made? Is the current dependency on
>> PHP mcrypt extension valid for a t3lib library?
>
> What is the advantage of this wrapper class over direct use of
> mcrypt? Is there any direct use case for the Core or the shipped
> system extensions?

It's an abstraction from a complex area. With proper presets, encryption
/decryption is done with one single method call each.
If you use mcrypt function calls, you need do understand the basics of
symmetric encryption, ciphers, modes and need more code.

The same is for t3lib_exec. You could do the same with file_exists etc..
Though, I'd always use the library instead.

There's a use case; the latest security bulletin contains an issue with
encryption/decryption. Please understand, that I don't want to point
directly to the code.

Marcus.