[TYPO3-dev] [TYPO3-english] Closedown bugs.typo3.org

Reinhard Führicht rf at typoheads.at
Thu Oct 15 17:49:06 CEST 2009

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] schrieb:
> Staffan Ericsson schrieb:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I suggest that bugs.typo3.org is closed down as soon as possible. As I
>> watch the summary page I notice 3648 open bugs! In the core there is
>> 1971 open bugs alone and 1202 resolved but unclosed bugs.
>
> This is because we set bugs to "resolved" first and then close them down
> lateron (which is only a usability thing).
>
> Next up I walked through the bugtracker and would close down at least
> 50% of all reported bugs with the remark "user generated error".
> Guess what: They are open less than 24 hrs later :)
> Reason: folks unlikely see that things are their mistake.
>
>> As it is apparent that bugs.typo3 is not used and bugs reported thru
>> that medium is not handled by the typo3 community. As bugs.typo3.org is
>> a blackhole when it comes to bugs it's better to simply close it down
>> that give false hope to all bug reporters.
>
> To the outside this might be true.
> It is very difficult to communicate how bugs are handled within the
> TYPO3 project.
> Bugs are reported.
> Bugs are then either taken up by some of the cool folks at the bug days
> (thank you guys btw.) and provided with patches or the one who found the
> bug supplies a patch.
> These bugs are then transmitted to the Core Mailing List where they need
> positive reviews so we can circumvent that patch A brings up bugs B, C
> and D.
> This works in 95% of all cases (which is pretty good, compared to other
> systems).
>
>> There is an unhealthy rush in the TYPO3 development team towards new
>> functionality and gold plating. The community needs to change focus
>> towards usablitity and bug fixing. Stop all new development until the
>> number of open bugs is below 100!
>
> I think you might not have attended the TYPO3 Developer Days or whatched
> the videos so I won't blame you for not knowing:
> The next TYPO3 releases will:
> a) have a far quicker release cycle (6 months)
> b) focus on 90% bugfixing and "convinience things" and 10% new features
>
> These are of course estimates and only a future plan but all in all it
> should satisfy your demand.
>
> If you have any ideas how to improve outside communication or make the
> current ways to handle things more transparent you can either get in
> touch with Peter Pröll (peter at typo3.org) or me (who will then forward a
> digest of your ideas to Peter).
>
> Just a sidenote:
> TYPO3 people are very much like surfers - if you rant in their place you
> might get a bloody nose, even if the rant was not your intention.
>
> Constructive criticism is always (!) welcome.
>
> cheers
> Mathias

What "bugs" me about the current appearance of the bugtracker is, that
it seems fairly unorganized.

Example:

There is a project "other extensions" where people report bugs about
specific extensions, in my case th_mailformplus. The problem is that the
extension author isn't informed about this bug in any way. I, for my
part, do not want people to file bugs about my extensions on
bugs.typo3.org because I have bugtrackers for my extensions on Forge.

In my opinion, bugs.typo3.org should be ONLY for core related bugs like
the core itself and sysexts.
Any community extension should use Forge for this because this is what
Forge is for.

In my view, making bugs.typo3.org only for core related bugs will result
in less bugs and a better overview.

Just my 2 cents

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen,