[TYPO3-dev] convert to metaCharset or renderCharset?

Franz Holzinger franz at ttproducts.de
Thu Oct 8 11:53:37 CEST 2009

Hello Masi,

>> I must do this conversion for the data I return to the xAjax call and
>> data read in from the extensions tables by SQL calls.
>
> Ah, AJAX. In this case you must determine in which charset you want to transmit your data. Many
> libraries expect JSON/XML to be in utf8 independently from the charset used in the corresponding
> HTML page.

This can be configured. I have used:

$charset = $TSFE->renderCharset;

Which is iso-8859-1 in my case.

	// Encoding of the response to FE charset
$this->taxajax->setCharEncoding($charset);

Should this always use utf-8 instead of renderCharset?

> In this case must convert to and from renderCharset to utf8.

This still did not work.

"Diese Universalgröße ist für  Erwachsene und Kinder gleichermaßen
geeignet, denn häufig "

So maybe I should have converted it into iso-8859-1 from the renderCharset.
But conversion from renderCharset to renderCharset does nothing and I
could remove the char conversion completely. But other charsets than
utf-8 and iso-8859-1 might not be supported any more by this method.

- Franz