[TYPO3-dev] convert to metaCharset or renderCharset?

Franz Holzinger franz at ttproducts.de
Thu Oct 8 11:34:59 CEST 2009

Hello Popy,

> Theorically, your extension does not need to convert charsets.
> It have to generate content into the "renderCharset" (which is generally the
> database charset too), then the TSFE class will convert it into metaCharset
> if needed.
>
> Of course, if you fetch external data, you may have to convert the content
> you get into the renderCharset

I must do this conversion for the data I return to the xAjax call and
data read in from the extensions tables by SQL calls.

I think I have found the answer here:
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/references/doc_core_tsref/4.1.0/view/7/3/

If renderCharset and metaCharset are different the output content is
automatically converted to metaCharset before output.

So metaCharset will be used if it is different to renderCharset.

- Franz