[TYPO3-dev] t3lib_error_Exception

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Thu Oct 1 11:17:49 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have a problem with the new error and exception handling.

EXT:phpmyadmin always causes a warning instead of the login prompt:
Warning: ob_start() [ref.outcontrol]: output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot
be used after 'URL-Rewriter' in
/kunden/220702_81827/webseiten/fw-devel-4.3/typo3_src/typo3/init.php line
435

This was no problem before, but now TYPO3 dies with typo3PrintError()
(with displayErrors != 2). While the site was usable before, it now isn't.
Is this what we really want (to die on every PHP warning)?

I'm a bit unhappy with the ProductionErrorHandler (I know, there were
already so many discussions), but why has a user-(=visitor)-friendly error
message a title "t3lib_error_Exception" and as text the raw PHP warning
text. I'd expect

    "We're sorry, but our page is currently not available"

or sth. like this. So we get back to times, when TYPO3 outputted only
geek-understandable words (using default settings).

What I really like is, how easy it should be to extend
ProductionErrorHandler with an own one styled in corporate design, but I'm
unhappy with the default :(

Are there concrete plans to refurbish the typo3PrintError() stuff for 4.3
or what's your opinion of a user-friendly error handler?

What do you consider the appropriate setting for displayErrors in
production context? What happens with value 0? Is there a blank page in
case of an Exception? So if we have an ProductionErrorHandler, I'd say we
should use it to give an explanation/excuse and not hide all its warnings.

Just some thoughts..

Regards
Steffen