[TYPO3-dev] Ideas solving the bloated TER problem?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 16 14:23:05 CET 2009

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> A good opportunity to move to extBase/Fluid? ;-)
>
> Than it is not for 4.2 installations. This is a stopper for me.
>
> Before moving anything to Extbase/Fluid I would test their performance comparing to other MVC frameworks.

The reason for the existence of Extbase/Fluid in 4.3 is different than
for other MVC frameworks; being a back port of FLOW3 Extbase allows you
to build an extension that is for a large part forward compatible with
TYPO3 version 5 (at least that is what we've been told ;-) ).

Moving to Extbase will mean that you can prepare your extension for T3v5
(at least many extensions). I think that extensions which work closely
together with core functionality (realURL, tagPack, TemplaVoila,
indexed_search, etc.) will not profit a lot, if anything at all, from
using extBase.
Extensions like tt_news on the other hand contain all the functionality
inside themselves (as far as I know the source code of tt_news).

But we're now moving way off from the topic of this thread...

Regards, Jigal.