[TYPO3-dev] For whom do we/you develop

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Fri May 29 09:28:14 CEST 2009

Peter Russ schrieb:
> As long as you have no idea what you can ask for you'll get nothing ;-)
> Gimme blog, news, calendar? No, I want content....
> Perhaps you'll get what I'm trying to say.

I am(was) on the same track for quite some time.
In my perception it is important that the V5 devs listen to what the
market needs.

I had the impression that this was hardly the case for quite some time.
After a rather long chat with Stucki I got biased a bit about the
current development.

The important thing is that the V5 devs are working on basics that
enable them to react to the market in the future.
Same thing goes for us - because we (I use "we" for the guys using the
system, spreading the word etc.) need to talk to them as well.

They are busy building a foundation and it took me some time to get
their perspective (but I have to admit that I was somewhat blinded with
my perspective).

But as soon as I started pointing out conceptual flaws, we sat together,
talked about what we think the market aims for and came up with a
solution that fits both their concepts and our needs.

Unlike you I've been carrying this attitude around for quite some time
but it took two nights and several VERY long talks to get to where I am now.

Thus I try to help wherever I can - by keeping my antennas sharp about
the market and every now and then drop a line about what could be useful
to the core (either v4 or v5).

And this is where everybody kicks in:
If you see flaws in the concepts, point them out (try not to be rude...
hard at least for me ;-)) and come up with a solution.
What I took from T3DD09 was this:
A solution doens't neccessarily need to be code - and the v5 devs are
listening... IF you actively approach them.

cheers
Mathias

--
TYPO3 certified intregator