[TYPO3-dev] Extension rules

Philipp Gampe phil at philippgampe.info
Wed May 27 22:19:24 CEST 2009

Am 27.05.2009, 18:05 Uhr, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov
<dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com>:

> I had PayPal links on my pages for years. No help.

Which pages? I never ran across one of your pages...

> Well, I used to spend nearly 30% of all my time for 4 years working for
> free: making patches for the TYPO3 core, extensions, etc. It did not
> give me anything to live.

I noticed and you got something moving...

>> I would like the core team (or association) to define some rules where
>> adds can be placed. The manual is not the best place to have adds.
> Do you really believe that developers, who work for free, can be
> influenced this way? They do not owe anything to anyone and there is no
> way to force them doing something. It is all 100% voluntary.
and still there are guidelines ...
it is not like "I do something for free so shut your mouth" and I dont
believe you meant t that way

I do understant your point, but there are always the same no matter what
kind of work should be done.
BTW, I bought your book some time ago and I will start coding own stuff
... but it will proberly take me a couple of years to become good anough
for coding core stuff.

Anyway, I do know that it sucks not getting anything for doing stuff (or
only getting complains) because I just do a website for free.... :/
Still at some point no works gets done without voluntary work. It is just
because nobody is willing to pay for it. But dont do anything than. If you
would believe that you wouldnt contribute so much.
I dont want to say that you should not get paid at all, but I also dont
believe a lot of adds will be for the good of Typo3. Actually, I only came
to Typo3 because it had no adds.

Still I believe in the idea of having a paypal button next to every
extention in Extention Manager (and on TER, too). So in case I dont
support a project after publishing it, the customer just knows where to
look for (payed) support.

And yes, I will kindly ask all client to donate some money to either core
(Association) or the one of the extention authors. BTW the Donate link on
Typo3 almost gets lost.
Still not many will do it.
Look at my swim club there are about 300 adult members, but still it is
hard to keep a seven person board... and those dont get paid.

It is just the one point I want to make: Typo3 would never have gone to
where it is now without the (add-free) work of so many people.

I just dont know if a future with adds everywhere is for the good of Typo3.

Best Regards
Phil

--
I never knew how good Opera is as a newsreader! Try it!
(used Thunderbird and Evolution before)