[TYPO3-dev] What is the purpose of sysexts?

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed May 20 13:25:54 CEST 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 2:36 AM, Franz Holzinger wrote:

> Ries van Twisk a écrit :
>> On May 19, 2009, at 12:08 PM, Steffen Kamper wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> long post, short answer:
>>>
>>> Main purpose is that the maintainance of sys extension is done by
>>> the
>>> core team. They will always use the latest API calls and should be a
>>> good example of "how-to-do"
>>>
>>> vg Steffen
>>

>> I believe that once was said (on a typo3 core meeting on IRC)  a
>> sysext
>> depends on a specific core version.
>>
>> For example you cannot put css_styled_content on TER because the
>> latest
>> version that is compatible with 4.2.0
>> will properly not work on older versions of TYPO3. Same goes for DBAl
>> and other highly TYPO3 version depend extensions.
> No, this is wrong. You can add a dependancy of TYPO3 4.2.0 to each
> extension. This is no reason to define an extension as a sysext.
>
> I would favour to have a small TYPO3 Core. Also in the past many
> extensions have been removed from the Core for this reason.
>
> - Franz

Franz, I was writing down what I remembered from a IRC core meeting
a couple of years ago. Since a sysextension depends on a specific
version TYPO3 (API calls)
it can break a TYPO3 installation badly with PHP errors and unusable BE
when a user decided to ignore the requirement, something that is
possible
using the extension manager.

For this reason I believe we have several extensions delivered in core
rather then put in TER, even though TER 'supports' TYPO3 versions.

Also the extensions manager always tries to install the latest version
and not a version that fits a TYPO3 version, whish makes it more
problematic
and error prone.

Ries