[TYPO3-dev] What is exactly the point of having a SQL parser in core?

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Mon May 18 19:55:53 CEST 2009

Hi,

Some of you may have notice I'm currently quite actively debugging
EXT:DBAL. I wonder why the core needs a SQL parser at all.

I mean, the core has to be able to create and administrate tables in the
backend (retrieve the actual structure and compare it to what is given
in ext_tables.sql) but otherwise, is there really a need to parse all
those CRUD queries?

EXT:DBAL works quite well but trying to use it for accessing legacy
business data, I'm quite limited at issuing very simple queries. I guess
that if parsing would be removed from Core, then DBAL should do the
stuff itself but a full-featured parser could be used.

Perhaps I miss something very important but what is needed except being
able to map table names and field names and then pass the modified query
to the ADOdb driver?

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en