[TYPO3-dev] Proper DIFFs vs. Less work for Devs

Marcus Krause marcus#exp2009 at t3sec.info
Mon May 18 14:06:01 CEST 2009

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] schrieb am 05/18/2009 01:13 PM Uhr:
> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:

>>> There are quite a lot of diff tools out, but i need the other way
>>> around.
>>> Taking our experiences from T3DD into acount I need to stick as close as
>>> possible to pure PHP/TYPO3 API as I can.
>>>
>>> So I will basically port the patch command from C to PHP (hoorray) so I
>>> get the same behaviour.
>>>
>>> But of course I am open for other approaches, thanks for the link ;-)
>>
>> I am not sure what you are intending. You should always do a "svn
>> update" before you create a patch. Than it doesn't matter what tool you
>> use. Why would a PHP-based tool work better than "svn diff"?
>
> I am talking about "patch" not "diff".
> What I try to do is simple:
> Build a BE Module
> Query Mantis via SOAP
> Find bugs pending in core list
> Click the bug, get the teams-core thread
> Select the patch
> Patch your system
> Do the functional check
> Reply into the mailing list

Great concept.

My suggestion:
Why would you want to code the most complex stuff from the beginning?

Do the actual patching with a TYPO3 service! Start with a service that
is basically a wrapper around native patch binary. I usually have patch
binary installed and would be willing to make it available for TYPO3.

If you or we all receive only few feedback, then this might indicate
that patch binary is not available for everybody who is willing to use
your extension. Only then I would add a second service that simulates
patch behavior in PHP.

Cheers,
Marcus.

--