[TYPO3-dev] Proper DIFFs vs. Less work for Devs

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon May 18 13:53:05 CEST 2009

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> Hi Mattes,
>
> as we already discussed face to face, +1 for the idea.
>
> i think the mentioned problems with line numbers depends on the OS. As
> i'm on windows i sometimes have problems applying a diff created on
> linux and other way around, so you can run in same problems. But if line
> number doesn't match, display an error and "try to use nearest match"
> like patch can do also.

At least on my Mac is does this on itself by default.
It's just a bit tricky to do (match the diff context) and I wondered if
I could find a way around this ;-)
But ok, if we want this perfect, I gotta delay it for a day or two.

> You also have to ensure that the file patched is the original one, as
> user may run into trouble applying more than one patches changing same
> files.

My idea is to revert the change immediately after posting to the core list.
I also wanted to add some sort of "You have applied a patch, if you do
not revert before you apply another one, you might run intro troubles
this tool can't help you with".

Monitoring all possibilities is out of scope (at least from my point of
view, if someone wants to add this to the classes... go ahead :)

Right now the mantis SSO pisses me off anyways since it seems to break
the SOAP API *gnarf*

cheers
Mathias

--