[TYPO3-dev] Proper DIFFs vs. Less work for Devs

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon May 18 13:13:17 CEST 2009

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
> Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] wrote: on 18.05.2009 12:21:
>
>>> I know it's pear and all but I thought I'd send the link anyway and you
>>> can have a look if you can use something from it:
>>>
>>> http://pear.php.net/package/Text_Diff/docs/latest/Text_Diff/Text_Diff.html
>
>> There are quite a lot of diff tools out, but i need the other way around.
>> Taking our experiences from T3DD into acount I need to stick as close as
>> possible to pure PHP/TYPO3 API as I can.
>>
>> So I will basically port the patch command from C to PHP (hoorray) so I
>> get the same behaviour.
>>
>> But of course I am open for other approaches, thanks for the link ;-)
>
> I am not sure what you are intending. You should always do a "svn
> update" before you create a patch. Than it doesn't matter what tool you
> use. Why would a PHP-based tool work better than "svn diff"?

I am talking about "patch" not "diff".
What I try to do is simple:
Build a BE Module
Query Mantis via SOAP
Find bugs pending in core list
Click the bug, get the teams-core thread
Select the patch
Patch your system
Do the functional check
Reply into the mailing list

Good thing:
Everyone can do this, not just people who do PHP.
This way we can utilize the masses to do the functional tests and thus
get this part of the workload off the core-devs shoulders.

cheers
Mathias

--
TYPO3 certified intregator