[TYPO3-dev] Proper DIFFs vs. Less work for Devs

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Mon May 18 11:52:03 CEST 2009

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] wrote:
> Martin Kutschker schrieb:
>> On Windows you can use the "create patch" context menu command of
>> Tortoise. Of course Eclipse with the SVN plugin also creates proper
>> patches.
>
> umm... I know how to create patches.
> It's just that some patches aren't correct.
> Like they state the change is in line 2002, but the line really is on
> line 1985.
> The linux command patch check for this and if the line numbers are not
> correct it uses some fuzzy logic to apply the patches at the correct place.
>
> I just wanted to ask if this behaviour is intended (namely "send wrong
> line numbr, patch will fix it anyways") or if we aim for sending correct
> diffs in the future :)

The problem is not in sending wrong line numbers, it's likely that
another patch was first committed that added (or removed) some code of
the file having to be patched. There is no solution except always
sending patch against trunk. This can prevent "a bit" this problem.

--
Xavier Perseguers
DBAL-Member

http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3.html