[TYPO3-dev] OT: Re: PHP requirement

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Mon May 11 18:24:40 CEST 2009

Hi.

On 11.05.2009 17:01 Martin Kutschker wrote:
> I expect that PHP 5.3 is out in the near future. And I regard as
> some-way in-between extension as ExtBase turned out to be not so
> important. Especially as FLOW3 is still changing and ExtBase is just a
> snapshot that won't even be updated.

More important than having an up-to-date backport of FLOW3 code is the
possibility to learn new programming patterns with TYPO3 4.x (like MVC,
but also factory, strategy, dependency injection, etc.). Existing TYPO3
v.4 programmers

The more I think about extbase and the transition, I realize the
importance of extbase as a knowledge bridge. In contrast to TYPO3 >= 4.2
design patterns seem to be very important in FLOW3. And I guess there
are a lot of programmers which are new to those pattern. So extbase is a
great step to start learning the "art of programming" which is used for
FLOW3.
For me, extbase is a knowledge bridge, inspiring people to learn.

Of course this is only "users knowledge point-of-view", which does not
consider real projects or code quality.

Btw., there is a little discussion about that on Jochens blog:
http://blog.typoplanet.de/2009/03/03/some-thoughts-on-extension-development/

--
cheers,
Steffen