[TYPO3-dev] More than 4000 characters in a CLOB

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Thu May 7 14:55:08 CEST 2009

Hi,

>> Was someone successful in storing more than 4000 characters in an Oracle
>> CLOB? Because having an UPDATE or INSERT statement in TYPO3 is not
>> carefully handled by AdoDB when having a CLOB field.
>
> Maybe TEXT is mapped to VARCHAR(4000) instead of CLOB. Did you check the
> TABLE definitions?

Yes, it is mapped to CLOB, that's OK but as I said, more than 4000
characters *cannot* be sent directly with an UPDATE/INSERT statement.

The latest pointer I gave says it clearly (it comes from Oracle):

[...] but what if you need to be able to store more than its 4,000-byte
limit in one go? For this task, you need one of Oracle's Long Object
(LOB) types, *which in turn requires that you learn how to use the PHP
API for working with LOBs*. That in itself can be daunting for those
unfamiliar with it.

--
Xavier Perseguers
DBAL-Member