[TYPO3-dev] PHP requirement

Jochen Rau j.rau at web.de
Tue May 5 09:26:43 CEST 2009

Hi Martin,

>> I think you have misunderstood what the aim of Extbase is. As far as I
>> understand it, it is to enable people to already use the concepts behind
>> FLOW3 and TYPO3v5 in a productive environment within the TYPO3 v4
>> context right now - which, I think, is a pretty cool thing.
>>
>> So, if you don't want Extbase to end up as just another playground for
>> experimental development, it obviously should absolutely not depend on
>> PHP 5.3.
>
> It shouldn't be a playground. But PHP 5.3 is nearly there and therefore
> available for everyone. ExtBase and FLOW3 aim for the future. So forget
> about PHP 5.2 and below and present FLOW3 via ExtBase in its true form
> (with namespaces).

The main goal of Extbase is to close the gap between today and tomorrow
(=TYPO3v5 and FLOW3). Raising the requirements for Extbase to PHP 5.3
would be contra-productive.

I think, namespaces are not a core concept of FLOW3, but Dependency
Injection, Domain-Driven Design, Aspect Oriented Programming, Model View
Controller are. With Extbase we have tried to backport the most
important of these core concepts to make them available for extensions
developers by now.

Regards
Jochen