[TYPO3-dev] PHP requirement

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Mon May 4 18:16:03 CEST 2009

Hi Masi,

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Steffen Müller schrieb:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I stumbled upon a bug which breaks extbase when using PHP < 5.2.3
>> http://forge.typo3.org/issues/show/3224
>> Jochen set the requirement of extbase to PHP >= 5.2.3 which resolved the
>> bug.
>>
>> If extbase is going to be shipped as a sysext (which means it is part of
>> the core), it seems logical to me to raise this PHP requirement also for
>> the rest of the core. Otherwise extbase will not run on certain systems
>> (Debain Etch, SUSE 10.2, ...).
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> That ExtBase should depend on 5.3 so it can use PHP namespaces like
> FLOW3 does.

I think you have misunderstood what the aim of Extbase is. As far as I
understand it, it is to enable people to already use the concepts behind
FLOW3 and TYPO3v5 in a productive environment within the TYPO3 v4
context right now - which, I think, is a pretty cool thing.

So, if you don't want Extbase to end up as just another playground for
experimental development, it obviously should absolutely not depend on
PHP 5.3.

cheers
Ingmar