[TYPO3-dev] Weird Upgrade Problem 4.1.x -> 4.2.x

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Wed Mar 18 08:16:08 CET 2009

Peter Russ schrieb:

> Thanks Ben, but we don't have problem to convert as customer would like
> to stay with iso-8859-1 (latin1). The point is that we loose information
> when upgrading ...

You say that the Database runs in utf8 but TYPO3 uses iso-8859-1?

What does that mean in terms of setup (Mysql and TYPO3)?

Anyway, what I wrote about BLOB to TEXT conversion could be also a
problem in this case. If Mysql really stores the data in utf8 (but talks
to the client in iso-8859-1) then the data BLOB will not be converted to
utf-8 when the data type is changed. OTOH the on-the-fly conversion from
utf8 (storage format) to iso-8859-1 (client format) will fail (as
iso-8859-1 is nt valid in utf-8).

Masi