[TYPO3-dev] Syslog confusion

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Tue Mar 17 10:15:41 CET 2009

Hi all,

As I was poking around TCEmain I found a confusing situation with system
logging. TYPO3 comes with a sys_log table that can be viewing using the
BE Log module. TCEmain defines a log() method which inserts entries
directly into the sys_log table.

OTOH we have a sysLog() method in t3lib_div, which doesn't write to the
sys_log table at all (although it could with a hook).
t3lib_div::sysLog() has a lot options for filtering based on severity
levels, sending notices by mail, etc.

I find this situation somewhat confusing. How about making
t3lib_div::sysLog() capable of writing to the sys_log table and have
TCEmain call that method instead of it's own log()? Does that make
sense? One issue is that the log() method accepts far more parameters
that t3lib_div::sysLog()...

Maybe the simpler solution is just to add a hook inside TCEmain's log().

Cheers

--

Francois Suter