[TYPO3-dev] Cache framework

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Sun Mar 15 16:39:13 CET 2009

Hi Ingo,

hoped that you respond here :-)

Ingo Renner schrieb:
> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>
> Hi Steffen,
>
>> NULL-backend
>> What is the sense of a NULL-backend, a chache that cahce nothing? It
>> looks theoretical only to me.
>
> It's of course not very practical in production use, but it's there for
>
> * debugging / development
> * completness of the backport

ok

>> APC-backend
>> the documentation of php APC is very spare, and what i read sounds like
>> it's not useful to save big data in it. Anyone with any experience on
>> APC?
>
> I don't know what you're exactly referring to, but if it's a memory
> limitation... the implementation handles that like in the memcached
> backend distributing the data over multiple cache entries.

i refer to the documentation of APC on php.net (but the info there is
very spare, and user comments aren't very positive, so i think this is
in development). I tried to figure out where php stores the data, it
seems to be in memory only. The phrase i found there was about my
introduction question:
"If you are constantly filling your cache, the resulting cache churn is
going to hurt performance. You should either set more memory aside for
APC, or use apc.filters to cache fewer scripts. "

>> cacheFrontends - how are they used, which advantages they have?
>
> * you can stick anything into the variable frontend, the variable
> frontend then serializes your object/array/whatever and hands it over to
> the cache backend
> * the string forntend only accepts strings. It can thus save the
> serialize() calls and might be a bit faster.

ah - so this is a future technique for FE extensions? Would like to see
some code how to use, sounds very promising. This is indeed a new
technique as there was nothing like that before.

Thx for your explanations.

vg Steffen