[TYPO3-dev] Temporarily Closing Typo3 Database Connection

Frank Weindel fjw24 at drexel.edu
Fri Mar 13 16:31:07 CET 2009

Hi all,

We've got a cli module that sends out mass mailings to subscribed users.
The database is first queried to find out what specific mailings need to
go out, and then they are sent out one after another. We've got 20000+
people subscribed so the actual sending takes upwards 30 minutes or more.

The problem is after each batch sending we need to update the database
to let it know the mailing went out successfully, and by that time our
connection to the database has timed out. Our ideal solution is to close
the Typo3 database connection before sending out a batch mailing and
then reestablish the connection afterwards. The t3lib_DB class doesn't
seem to provide for this ability, it does not even seem to have a
wrapper method to call the mysql_close() function.

Is there any recommended way to do this?

Thanks a bunch,
Frank Weindel