[TYPO3-dev] Javascript Minify-Manager

Sebastian Gebhard s.gebhard at markenmotiv.de
Fri Mar 6 09:18:52 CET 2009

After Dmitry pointed out that minification while runtime is not good
solution, I ask myself:

Why are

typo3/contrib/prototype.js
typo3/contrib/scriptaculous/builder.js
typo3/contrib/scriptaculous/controls.js
typo3/contrib/scriptaculous/dragdrop.js
typo3/contrib/scriptaculous/effects.js
typo3/contrib/scriptaculous/scriptaculous.js
typo3/contrib/scriptaculous/slider.js
typo3/contrib/scriptaculous/sound.js
and
typo3/contrib/scriptaculous/unittest.js

all not minified?

I still think a JS manager would be a good thing for merging all
Javascripts into a single file or in some few files. When I open 4.2.6
Backend on start screen 20 JS files are included. Maybe it could be 2.

The same goes for CSS files. 23 are loaded on backend start screen.

And even more insane: What about a new way of handling Icons? Very often
used icons (BE modules, icons of list view) could maybe merged to few
icons palette graphics and the css background properties could go into
one of the merged css files.

I'm just brainstorming about what we can do to lower the number of file
requests especially in the backend. Dminitry finally enabled some long
existing .htaccess files with a patch yesterday. That's a good step.
Maybe we find some more good solutions.