[TYPO3-dev] Some minor problems with fetching from database

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Thu Jun 18 17:27:01 CEST 2009

Erik Svendsen skrev:
> Marc Wöhlken skrev:
>> Hi Erik!
>> Erik Svendsen schrieb:
>>
>>> I'm pretty sure the code is correct, as it works as it should except for
>>> to letters. But the problem with A and Á is annoying me.
>>
>> This is probably caused by something called collation under MySQL - see
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/charset-general.html
>>
>> In simple words a collation describes how to order and compare
>> characters. You should probably choose a suitable collation for your
>> character set and language.
>>
>> Regards
>>  Marc
>>

> Doesn't help as far as I has tested. I'm aware of collation, and this
> are tested with different collations for both the table and the title
> field. And the only collation which can be used on the field is
> utf8_danish_ci, because of the sorting of Æ,Ø,Å,and necessary to pick
> Æ,Ø,Å correct. utf8_swedish_ci also picks correct records (exept A and
> Á), but sorts Æ,Ø,Å wrong.

Hadn't tested enough collations. utf8_icelandic_ci on this particular
field solves this problem. Strange, as Icelandic isn't related to
Nothern Sami at all, Northern Sami is related to Finnish and Hungarian.

But use utf8_icelandic_ci gives real problems with Southern Sami, which
the use of utf8_danish_ci don't gives.

Regards

Erik