[TYPO3-dev] Proper usage of lang::getLL()?

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Jul 16 20:59:26 CEST 2009

Hi,

> What about extensions that rely on the second parameter?
>
> I am against such patches. If the feature exists, leave it. We should add features, not remove them...

Sorry I was not clear enough. I don't want to remove the second
parameter of lang::getLL(). I just want to remove the usage of it that
was made in recent patches about localization. In these patches a lot of
calls to getLL() were made with the second parameter set to "true". This
means that all localized strings would go through htmlspecialchars(),
which I find not only unnecessary, but actually undesirable, as there
are localized string containing HTML tags and this will waste them.

Actually (on second check) in these patches all localized strings are
passed through htmlspecialchars() unless they already had existing HTML
tags inside them. I find this rather constraining as it means that tags
cannot be added later without also changing the core code to remove the
"true" flag.

And as I mentioned before, this really doesn't seem to be a common
practice in the core as I couldn't find calls using the "true" flag.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter