[TYPO3-dev] Deprecating "mainpalette" property of TCA['ctrl']

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Jul 14 12:08:21 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I just discovered the "mainpalette" property of the "ctrl" section of
the TCA, after fighting with the display of the fe_group field of
tt_content ;-)

I can understand the usefulness of this property, especially in the case
of tt_content, where there are so many types and it would be easy to
forget the fe_group field - for example - when introducing a new type.

However I find this mechanism disturbing, especially now that the use of
tabs is becoming more prevalent. Indeed if you want to add a new tab to
the TCA of a table that uses the mainpalette mechanism, then you will
find these mainpalette fields in your new tab. Or even without tabs,
they will appear after other new fields which you may have wanted to be
the last ones. In short I find that it disturbs the proper functioning
of TCA/TCEforms.

I would thus like to propose the following:

- modify the tt_content TCA (and maybe other core tables; haven't
checked) in 4.3 so as not to rely on mainpalette anymore
- deprecate the use of mainpalette

Opinions?

Cheers

--