[TYPO3-dev] Possible IE bug in dam_frontend

Jason Alexander jalexander at digipen.edu
Mon Jul 13 21:46:01 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I was just curious if anyone has had any problems using the
dam_frontend in IE. The issue we are having is that when you try to
download a file we get this error:

	Internet Explorer cannot download FILENAME from SITE
	Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet Site. The
requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try
again later.

I have figured out that it is a known Microsoft bug when trying to
download some file with IE. Here is Microsoft explanation:

In order for Internet Explorer to open documents in Office (or any out-
of-process, ActiveX document server), Internet Explorer must save the
file to the local cache directory and ask the associated application
to load the file by using IPersistFile::Load. If the file is not
stored to disk, this operation fails.

When Internet Explorer communicates with a secure Web site through
SSL, Internet Explorer enforces any no-cache request. If the header or
headers are present, Internet Explorer does not cache the file.
Consequently, Office cannot open the file.

If I go into the pushfile.php (within the extension) and edit the
sendFile function by defining Pragma like so:

header("Pragma: private"); or header("Pragma: public");

(doesn't work with header("Pragma: no-cache"); )

then the file is allowed to be downloaded through IE. I was just
curious as to why this may happen. I have the fix but unsure why this
fix is working. Any comments, suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Is this a DAM bug? Of this also happens in mm_dam_filelist as well.
Can't find anything about this through Google.

Thanks in advance,

Jason