[TYPO3-dev] [TYPO3-core] New TYPO3 Coding Guidelines

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Fri Jul 10 13:37:54 CEST 2009

Francois Suter schrieb:
> Last but not least, these CGLs are binding only for core patches. For
> extension developers they are just recommendations. So you are free to
> do what you prefer inside your own extensions if you can't bear our CGLs.
>
> I hope this will clarify the situation and prevent too easy criticisms,
> although I'm no fool and have no hope of making everybody happy ;-)

Thanks for those clear words.
I think it's kinda hard for developers who have been writing a certain
style of codefor a frickin long time to adapt to some parts of the new CGL.
A good thing would be if someone could point out *why* certain changes
were applied.
This way other folks could see "ok, this n that changed for these reasons".

The new whitespace-after-everything style makes me wanna throw up, I
still would like to know why this was added.
The only reason I can see so far is that if you use an IDE without
syntax highlighting makes te code... different... not easier to read.

If someone could point me to why this has been changed I could try to
understand what's going on.

I do think that
$content=$bla
if worse than
$content = $bla
but
$hello = 'This is ' . $name . ' Name' sucks to read from my point of view.

Anyways... I just wanted to say that I understand both sides of the
story and think it might help if the reasons for changed were put
together (as soon as those who dislike parts of te CGL ask for it - no
need to comment on everything :))

cheers
Mathias

--