[TYPO3-dev] Why are usernames converted to lowercase?

Joerg Klein joerg at klein-family.com
Fri Feb 13 19:57:49 CET 2009

Hi Steffen!

"Steffen Kamper" <info at sk-typo3.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1234478945.4938.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi,
>
> Christopher Lörken schrieb:
>> Joerg Klein schrieb:
>>
>>> Steffen, can you tell me, why this is not possible by default?
>>> Meaning: Is there now the danger that something won't work anymore?
>>
>> I'd really be interested in that myself... Why lower case and why no
>> spaces? Is it a security risk in some setups or why?
>>
>> At least in FE, I'd always want my users to pick the names they want and
>> write them how they want them... Simple utf8 database and I see no
>> problems...
>
> i think it has only historical reasons. I don't see a problem with
> charsets, security or something else. Most login systems i know don't
> accept spaces, and some are case insensitive, so maybe...

OK, thanks for the response!
If there are no issues, I will use the line you suggested.

A last more theoretical question:
If I already have an installation with some BE-users, I can rename them.
This does not cause any problems with the mapping user --> author of
content-element and what else there is.
Am I right that for lowercase/uppercase changes this is the same?

Jörg