[TYPO3-dev] Why are usernames converted to lowercase?

Christopher Lörken christopher at loerken.net
Wed Feb 11 14:17:09 CET 2009

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Joerg Klein schrieb:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I would like to use nomal names as usernames, but TYPO3 always converts them
>> to lowercase, so that e.g. "Martin" becomes "martin".
>>
>> What is the reasion for that?
>>
>> Is there an option to change that?
>
> Not really. Even if TYPO3 wouldn't convert the value on input, the user
> names were case insensitve.
>
> Masi

Hello Joerg, hello Masi,

I think, Joerg is simply puzzled by the automatic conversion of stored
usernames. Probably very few people want the login form to be
case-sensitive, but I myswlf am also annoyed by the fact that very time
I edit a user record in the backend, it is converted to lower case and
all space characters are removed. I actually want them to be stored in
the way the user intended.

I circumvent that by using the registration component of mm_forum which
allows and remembers upper case characters during registration and
editing fe_user entries in the DB by hand. Quite error-prone I think. I
do not yet see any reason why something basic like that does not have
configuration parameters...

For the solution, I've found a post where someone suggested this extension:

http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/cron_feuserscase/current/info/ext_tables.php/

Quite simple and should work for the lowercase scenario. The code is
pretty self explanatory I think.

I haven't tested the extension though.

Cheers,

Christopher