[TYPO3-dev] InnoDB vs MyISAM

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Sat Feb 7 15:12:35 CET 2009

Hi!

Jörg Schaller wrote:
> I've noticed that my database has mixed tables, some are MyISAM,
> others are InnoDB.

That's for performance reasons. MyISAM is best in speed when tables are mostly read (like tt_content or pages). InnoDB is best in speed when tables are read and written at the same time (all cache_* and index_*).

> While doing some manual optimizing to my table via phpMyAdmin, I
> noticed that running a REPAIR on all tables throws an error for those
> tables that use InnoDB, the error being "The storage engine for the
> table doesn't support repair".
>
> What would you advise in this situation?

Reread the message. Then leave those tables as is. They do not need reparing.

In general you should not use REPAIR unless CHECK tells you that table is crashed. You can ANALYZE, this never hurts. You can also OPTIMIZE but I found that OPTIMIZE after ANALYZE does not make much sense (same for ANALYZE after OPTIMIZE).

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team