[TYPO3-dev] Bugtracker - What is it good for?

ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Tue Feb 3 01:21:22 CET 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Ingo Renner wrote:

> ries van Twisk wrote:
>
> Hi Ries,
>
>> It might not be a bad idea to close all open bugs in bugtrack older
>> then
>> 1 year,
>> specially when there was a patch attached. There is a good change
>> that
>> the patch will not work anymore anyways.
>
> I disagree, bugs should only be closed if
>
> * they can't be reproduced or
> * if they've been resolved
>
> What's the sense in closing a bug if it's still present? Of course it
> sometimes/often takes a while until bugs get processed but when
> having a
> look at the chart under [1] I clearly see a positive trend that could
> even turn around the graph for open bugs...
>
> Opening the core list was one of the best decissions we made over the
> last years. Development accelerated at an incredible rate, we get
> introduced to more and more active people who are fixing bugs. And
> from
> time to time these contributors also get promoted to core developer
> status as has been the case with Steffen and François lately. This
> again
> speeds up development and improves the chance of getting even old bugs
> fixed.
>
> And then, even if you aren't intrested in the solution to a bug
> anymore,
> others might, which is why we do not close unresolved bugs.
>

> [1] http://bugs.typo3.org/summary_jpgraph_page.php
>

> all the best
> Ingo

Ingo,

it was only a suggestion. THis because quite a bit of bugs are against
older versions of TYPO3.

And I totally understand what you are saying, as long as the people
that skim and use bugtrack don't get confused
by the number of bugs and that a potential poster doesn't get pushed
back by the number of open bugs
and thinking 'it will not get resolved, who cares' THen I am totally
fine with it.

I totally agreed about opening core list.. I suggested it already a
couple of times before it was open.
This really accelerates development but most important it opens door
for these people that are interested
and can work as a magnet for interested parties. Most important, since
it's open source it shows open development...

PS: The graphs don't revile to much at that size....
Ries