[TYPO3-dev] Performance improvement: caching of MENUDATA

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Tue Dec 22 10:19:10 CET 2009

Hi Masi,

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Steffen Kamper schrieb:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Peter Niederlag schrieb:
>>> I am still very confident that caching is the WRONG approach here.
>> you say it. It's like having cache in cache.
>> When menu is rendered and page is cached we already have cache.
>>
>> Lets do it nice and easy - or someone has to have good reasons for the
>> menu cache.
>
> A special menu cache would make sense if the same cache entries for a menu can be used for more then
> one page. Maybe the original idea was to hold all the data for huge menus that are expanded
> automatically.

yes, that make sense. But same menu on other page has little difference
because the ACT/CUR and then we end up in a menu-by-item-cache again.
Cache only make sense if reading by cache is significant faster than
generation. Maybe the rootline cache boost menu generation enough - as
there was no rootline cache when menu code was written.

vg Steffen