[TYPO3-dev] charset troubles when inserting data manually into table, how to detect and handle that?

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Mon Sep 15 09:52:26 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> Not quite right. In the BE the charset is defined by the language of the
>> BE user, so it may be any charset. In the FE it's defined by TS.
>>
>> See Steffen's post for more info (though in the FE you should use
>> $TSFE->renderCharset and not $TSFE->defaultCharset which is always
>> iso-8859-1).
>
> I know about that. I was the first to review "FE localization guide" by
> Kasper and I still remember some things from there ;)
>
> The charset of the database is still defined by forceCharset.

No, TYPO3 will happily send the data in the same charset to the DB as it
send to the browser. forceCharset will *only* sanitize it so, that it is
 always the same (eg BE language doesn't affect it).

Nitpicking: Mysql could also convert from the client charset on the fly
to the server charset and store the data in a a different charset. :)

Masi