[TYPO3-dev] new EXT:categorize to categorize everything

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Mon Oct 27 13:18:14 CET 2008

Hi,
>> How could rgsmoothgallery and my two galleries be combined into one
>> extension? Do you see the way?

well - all have the image handling in common - that's the part the
"global" gallery extension would take care of. If the images are then
shown in traditional way with 3 steps or a fancy lightbox-JS-way is up
to the view you're connecting/using or coding yourself. But you would at
least not have to care about the image handling, maybe categorization
stuff or whatever yourself.
And if the extension would be based on services, you could easily
provide your SMS-gateway-stuff in your own service having a higher
priority then the default service - or simply hook that stuff in.

> same point for me. There is no standard so you can use an existing
> extension and fit to customers wishes.
>
> I work in same manner: comparing existing plugins to requirements.
> 1) extension can be used
> 2) extension can be used but need some extended function, so i change them
> 3) no extension fits - do it by my own.
>
> Another problem is the timeline. in most projects the timeline is very
> short, so there is sometimes even no time to search all extensions and
> try if they fit.

That's exactly the point. You would not have to search all extensions -
you only have ONE with different flavors you can combine. If you don't
like any of them - you can still create your own flavor - but based on
the same architecture. See it as a gallery framework.

You as ECT leader and dev of cal should know that it's possible to
provide a generic extension for most needs. If you would need a
different view in cal, you won't code your own calendar extension but
simply create a new view and snap it in - no need to write all the event
handling stuff yourself or rewrite parts of the extensions core - just
add your own view-model. You could then release this view-model as a
addon-extension.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch