[TYPO3-dev] new EXT:categorize to categorize everything

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Sun Oct 26 17:18:10 CET 2008

Hi,

>> and another categorization extension *sigh* :(. Why haven't you joined
>> forces with Mads Brunn and his "tx_categories" extension which has the
>> same aim as yours, and why haven't I read about your extension in the
>> ECT list?
>
> I do not know who Mads Brunn is but I know who Georg Ringer is :)
> And I know how good his extensions are. So if I have to choose
> between various extensions, I will take Georg's without major thinking.

At least the fact that Mads was coordinating his ext with the ECT is
telling me that he is interested to make this extension a team effort
and a extension that should become "the" flexible categorization
extension and prevent flooding the TER with "yet 20 other unneeded and
crapy category extensions". That's IMHO a big +1 for Mads and a big -1
for Georg.
Typo3 is lacking of high quality generic, flexible and extendable
extensions almost any other CMS (or alike) has. ECT was founded to take
care of that. But what is the ECT good for if nobody cares - not even
core devs? I can only hope that there will be taken care of for v5.

> <imho>
> Often people want to code extensions themselves, exactly as they see
> it best. Personally I cannot blame anyone for such wish because I
> got the same. I'd like to code as I see fit. Often "joining" forces
> means fighting for your views instead of developing. Fighting is
> very contrproductive. May be this is a reason why many people choose
> to go their own way instead of negotiating with other developers.
>
> The result usually shows it all: failure or triumph.
> </imho>

People are free to do so - I do it myself, too - but I don't upload
every extension I code into TER, as they are to specific and not useful
for 99% of the users. I'd only upload something to TER when I know it's
of general use and almost feature finished or at least easily extendable.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch