[TYPO3-dev] Initial upload to forge

Georg Ringer mail-spam at ringerge.org
Sun Oct 26 08:12:57 CET 2008

Hi everybody,

first of all thanks to your input in this thread!

I just did an initial upload of the code to forge [1]. Many things
changed since I started and here is a short overview:

++ Backend / Configuration ++
- One mm table is used for the relations
- If you extend your own table by the category you can use an existing
function to get the correct configuration
- Categories are using the correct language overlay mechanism
- Categories can be restricted to specific tables. So if you categorize
tt_news records, you won't see the categories you don't need there. Of
course a category can be also used in more then one table.
- Categories can be restricted by using Page TsConfig to set the
sysfolder(s). So you can use 1 category branch for a special page branch.

++ Frontend / Output ++
There are several options in the flexforms to specify the output as you
want it.
- Restrict the output to the tables you categorized. E.g. set it to:
fe-users + tt_address. The select field is extended by using hooks, so
your own table will be there without modification of the code
- AND / OR combination of categories
- Nice sorting mechanism: There are different tables (now pages,
tt_content, fe_users, tt_address, tt_news) and you can sort the output
either by the label (which is fetched by looking up TCA), crdate, tstamp
or table. ascending or descending.
- Output is templatebased but fully done with TS, so you really can do
what you want.

++ What you can do with it ++
There are many things you can do with those categories.

- Very cool sitemaps: Categorize your pages and you will get a sitemap
of all pages which got the Category A + Category B. Real life example: I
got all my extensions on my page with categories like finished, using
ajax, fun project. So i can get all pages which are fun projects and
using ajax.

- Tagclouds: I did a short proof of concept and just needed to change
the template and TS for getting a tagcloud of all Records using Category
B. Every link will point to the correct record. tt_news to a single view
page, Links on tt_address to a single view using the extension
wt_directory, fe-users to a single view of another ext, links of content
elements to the parent page including an anchor. Configuration fully
done with some lines TS using typolinks, RECORDS and all you want/need

- New own project: I will do kind of a hiking website and they want to
show on each hiking trips which special flowers can be found. So i
create for every special flower a category and categorize the hiking
trips. With 2 clicks an editor will get all hiking tripps where this
flower can be found.

Ah and I forgot:
The main extension is called categorize. There are also the following
extensions which extend a single table. I did this because not
everywhere is tt_news, tt_address,.. is used:
- categorizettaddress
- categorizettnews
- categorizefeusers

Those also can be found in the SVN [2]

I really hope you like the idea of my extension and I am looking forward
to your comments!

Georg

[1] https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Extensions/categorize/trunk/
[2] https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Extensions/categorize/trunk/exts/