[TYPO3-dev] Extensions need update for 4.3!

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Oct 15 19:55:35 CEST 2008

Hi Ernesto, Dmitry & others,

> There are different views on the topic. I think we should look to all of
> them without emotions. In theory I am completely on Ingo's side (because
> I do not like ext developers who act irresponsibly passing wrong
> parameters to functions) but I understand Ernesto's position because
> breaking web sites is not good and can cause financial losses for
> companies. So there is not absolutely right position here. You both are
> right.

Right.

> I think Ernesto's solution is quite clean:
> - allow array or null
>
> What if we add:
> - since TYPO3 4.4 we allow only array
>
> This would give time to developers and give us more room for quality
> improvement.

I discussed this issue with Ingo yesterday and since then thought about
this possibility. I like clean code which means we can remove
unneccessary input checks that could be done by PHP directly (with type
casting).

However, I also acknowledge that the trouble may appear unneccessary, as
this little "feature" does not bring any new functionality besides
enforcing clean code.

But:
- Fixing buggy extensions takes only one line to change, and good
  programmers know how to fix it without loosing more than 5 minutes of
  their valuable time.
- When using a testing environment, the problem will never occur on a
  live site. And whatever you may say, upgrading major/minor versions
  without testing is dangerous and should not be supported in any way.

My conclusion is that leaving null has the same effect like leaving out
the type casting completely and therefore should be avoided.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out